Aromas and the sense of smell are two of the most important elements in our daily life. Although the olfactory memory is the most powerful of the human being, this sense has been forgotten. Then, we will explain 10 curiosities of smell that you probably did not know about.
1. When we are eating food, with the sense of taste we can notice if it is sweet, salty, sour, acid or umami thanks to the taste buds. But we can taste any food thanks to smell. Between 80 and 90% of the flavor is given through smell. So if cover our nose at mealtime we will only notice if it is bitter, salty or sweet acid.
2. The olfactory memory is the most powerful of the human being because the sense of smell is directly connected to the limbic system, the part of the brain that is associated with memory and the attribution of emotional responses. The smell is the sense most connected to our memories. Have you ever associated an odor with a stage of childhood or adolescence?
3. Good smells can make you happier, smelling a fragrance that you perceive as pleasant has a positive effect on your mood.
4. Smell never rests, nor when we are asleep. Although we are asleep we can still perceive aromas and some may even wake up.
5. Generally women have a stronger sense of smell than men and can pick up more odors.
6. The smell has begun to develop a fundamental role in stores and marketing campaigns, as we explained in the article of olfactory marketing.
7. Each of us has blind spots of smell, smells that we can not capture, everyone has a unique sense of smell, two people can not smell in the same way.
8. There are also body odors which play an important role in the search for a partner and in family relationships, especially between mother and child. A mother is able to recognize her baby and a baby is able to recognize her mother only by the smell they give off.
9. Smell is lost with age, like the rest of the senses.
10. We smell with our brain and not with the nose as is usually assumed.
Tu sum up, we must develop the sense of smell. A good exercise to develop it would be to describe the smells that surround you daily . If you want to know more about how to train your nose, the article how to study perfumery will help you.